Sunday, September 26, 2010

In My Mailbox (5) - London special

This is a weekly meme, where we talk about the books we got the previous week. As always the In My Mailbox meme is hosted by The Story Siren.

This week I got so many awesome books. I have been vacationing in London, and have visited a lot of bookshops and bought many, many books.

We stayed at a hotel named Harlingford, situated in Bloomsbury. The first day we got there, I found an amazing shop only a short distance from our hotel. Skoob books have been labeled “London’s Greatest Book Shop”, and I can totally understand why.
We stumbled upon it when we were walking in the area, and when I got inside I thought I was in heaven. There were books everywhere, the shelves were packed with them. I love secondhand bookshops, and this must have been one of the best I have ever visited. I bought "The Complete Poems" by Emily Bronte and "Abandoned" by Cody Mcfadyen this time. I really wanted to spend more time here, but my boyfriend is not so happy with waiting whilst I spend hours in a book store.
I returned to Skoob Books the last day we spent in London, and then I found treasure. First of all, I bought "Unholy Ghosts" and "City of Ghosts" by Stacia Kane. The books were used, as all the books in this shop are, but they didn’t appear used.

I also bought "Frostbite" and "Shadowkiss" by Richelle Mead. In the fantasy section I found “After Twilight”, an anthology from 2001 with stories from authors such as Christine Feehan and Ronda Thompson. But the real gold, was found in the Children’s section.

I have been wanting to read “Infinite Days” by Rebecca Maizel for a long time now, and I was actually thinking about buying it when I visited Waterstones on Oxford Street. But, since it is still in hardback, I decided to wait since my suitcase was already getting a bit heavy. But faith had something in store for me….

When shifting through the children’s section at Skoob Books I saw something I at first didn’t quite understand - a paperback edition labeled “Infinite Days”. I though that was kinda strange, since the book is only out in hardback, so I reached for the book and found gold… It was actually a bound proof of "Infinite Days", and the prize was really low. My heart was raising and I couldn't believe it was true.

I also found a bound proof of “The Rule of Claw” by John Brindley, from 2007. This one didn’t appear to be read at all, and the story seemed interesting, so I bought it. Skoob Books did really have treasures.

I also visited Forbidden Planet. I hadn’t heard about this shop until a commenter on my blog told me about in - thank you. I also found a lot of amazing books here.

I got “ Bite”, an anthology with stories from Laurell K. Hamilton and other authors.

I also bought the first six books in the weather warden series by Rachel Caine, and the best part: They were all signed. I also got an extra copy of "Firestorm", which is also signed, that I will be giving away here on my blog later. I also got “Undone” and “Unknown” by Rachel Caine, and they were also signed. And I got a signed edition of “Kiss of Death”.
I also found a signed hardback edition of "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, but since the book was so heavy I decided not to buy it.

We also visited Waterstones, and they had a “3 for 2” bargain. I ended up with “Before I fall” by Lauren Olivier, “The Host” by Stephenie Meyer and “Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare. I have already received Clockwork Angel from Play, so the edition I bought in London is going to be part of a giveaway later.

I have also received some great books in my mailbox at home:
Alexandra Adornetto: Halo
Alyson Noel: Radiance
Marie Treanor: Blood on silk
Kin Harrison: "The good, the bad and the undead" ( The Norwegian translation)


What have you gotten in your mailbox this week?

7 comments:

Fi-chan said...

Wow really awesome mailbox! You bought a looot of books! I lovee London and I hope I get to visit there in the future!

Here's my In My Mailbox!

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

glad you enjoyed forbidden planet - didn't I say it was awesome - I love it there.

Hope you enjoy your books

Dazzling Mage said...

Awesome books this week! I've been reading a lot of great things about Stacie Kane's books. Happy reading. =)

Nina said...

Wow, fab books. Too bad I didn't know of that shop in London, when I was there this summer. But hey what can you do! Love it. Have fun there and enjoy the books you got. :)

Kate said...

Awesome books! Now I want to go visit all of London's bookstores. I'm a new follower and here is my mailbox.

Kindle said...

These are all great! I'm a book lover and I'm sure I'm gonna love to visit it and have those remarkable and out of the ordinary books in London. Enjoy reading...

Krystal said...

Wow! Hope you're enjoying London, and the book shops sound wonderful. You seem to have picked up some great books! Happy reading!

Check out my In My Mailbox

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Kimla's Storytime kit.